To be considered for an employment opportunity with COJK, please e-mail your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
COJK is a Seattle-based intellectual property law firm practicing all areas of IP law. The firm, established in 1929, enjoys a culture produced by a management ethos that emphasizes teamwork, effective communication, and a healthy balance between work and family life. The company takes great pride in its ability to provide excellent service to our clients and further the opportunities of our attorneys and staff for professional and personal growth.
Intellectual Property Docketing Clerk
COJK is seeking qualified candidates to fill a full-time non-exempt IP Docketing Clerk position.
- Opens and identifies foreign/USPTO mail, requests files, dockets dates and forwards mail per procedure.
- Dockets and dedockets dates as requested by attorneys/paralegals/secretaries.
- Conducts conflict searches, opens new matters and clients per firm policy.
- Reviews incoming faxes and e-filings, dockets dates and forwards per procedure.
- Updates status reports and other special projects as assigned by the IP Docketing Lead or Supervisor.
- Responsible for completeness and accuracy of their own work.
- Works closely with the lead and supervisor to insure adherence to existing guidelines and to develop better controls and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of Intellectual Property docketing for both the U.S. and foreign countries.
- Sound understanding of a docketing database, including but not limited to, updating records, closing clients and matters, and updating client’s status.
- Analytical skills and ability to identify problems and find appropriate solutions.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to effectively interface with staff and professionals alike, both in and out of the department.
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written. Training skills are a must.
- Appreciation for timelines and deadlines.
- Ability to be a team player and experience in the area of negotiating with others for the good of the team.
- Dependent on experience
- Full benefits
Intellectual Property Foreign Paralegal
COJK is seeking qualified candidates to fill a full-time Foreign IP Paralegal position.
Qualified IP Paralegal candidates will possess a minimum of 5 years of foreign Intellectual Property experience, strong organizational and communication skills, and a desire to produce quality work products.
- Solid understanding acquired through experience of foreign patent lifecycles in multiple countries and regions, and the ability to work independently, efficiently and accurately in a fast paced environment with minimal supervision
- File foreign patent applications, assist attorney with prosecution and maintain foreign patents
- Draft original correspondence, within the ethical boundaries of a paralegal position, to foreign associates and clients
- Maintain foreign patent files and docket
- High level of oral and written communication skills, with an ability to communicate effectively with all levels of firm personnel and clients is required
- Oversee assistant and other staff as needed to maintain accuracy of data and increase efficiency in producing high quality work product
- Maintain current docket for assigned cases and work with attorneys to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner
- Provide assistance and support of coworkers in the department to ensure that consistent, thorough support is given to attorneys
- Update office databases to ensure accurate information is maintained
- Maintain confidentiality
- Good communication skills for managing daily workflow as well as interaction with attorneys and other staff members
- Demonstrate analytical ability and the ability to set priorities and exercise independent judgment
- Knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office Products
- Strong spelling, punctuation, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Experience e-filing
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills
- Excellent customer service
- Ability to work within a team environment
- Willingness to be flexible
- Dependent on experience
- Full benefits
- Metro Pass
A Diverse Team of Dedicated Individuals.
COJK puts great emphasis on recruiting the best and brightest from law schools and industry nationwide. COJK offers excellent career opportunities for qualified lawyers with technical and non-technical backgrounds as well as those desiring a lateral move to enhance their professional experience. Our comprehensive training and mentoring programs yield a high retention rate, allowing lawyers to gain experience and knowledge under careful guidance and supervision from our members.
We maintain a consistent job fair presence and strong relationships with many law schools and placement organizations that support our growth and success. These efforts also encompass recruitment for staff positions, including secretarial, paralegal, and other support roles.
COJK is committed to encouraging a well-rounded and balanced lifestyle by offering excellent benefits packages that include generous vacation, family leave, and sabbatical programs. We realize that our clients’ well-being and satisfaction are facilitated by a workforce that takes great pride and satisfaction in the work they do and the challenges they meet in providing the highest quality service to our clients.
Law Clerk Program
COJK actively recruits students from top law schools around the nation for our summer law clerk program. We seek motivated individuals with technical backgrounds who intend to pursue a career in intellectual property law. Students come to us with significant industry experience in fields such as aerospace, chemistry, electronics, engineering, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, physics, and software.
Our highly structured and comprehensive training program introduces law students to the inner workings of a full-service intellectual property practice.
Under the close supervision of COJK attorneys, our clerks help draft patent applications and communications to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and assist with legal research and litigation.
Our goal is to provide clerks with as many professional growth opportunities as possible while encouraging them to participate in social, recreational, and community activities outside the firm. A large percentage of our clerks have joined COJK as associates after graduating from law school.
If you are looking to join COJK, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Strong Commitment to Diversity
We take great pride in the diversity of our team. COJK has experienced the profound impact of an environment that welcomes unique and varied cultural experiences and perspectives. As a result, we have dramatically increased the scope of our talent by retaining a team of diverse individuals possessing excellent academic and technical backgrounds. Guided by these ideals, COJK is best able to serve our broad base of clients and associates by building quality relationships across the nation and around the world.
Our attorneys actively support diversity in the community and in a variety of minority associations, including the Asian Bar Association, Washington Women Lawyers Association, Vietnamese American Bar Association, and the Hispanic National Bar Association. Our attorneys often hold leadership roles within these organizations, providing guidance and direction on programs of value to the community.
Christensen O’Connor Johnson Kindness is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, color, gender, religious affiliation, nationality, age, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, cultural behavior, disabilities, or in any manner prohibited by law.